Saturday, April 2, 2011

Cy's mechanical parts - sketches

I completed a rough sketch of Cy's mechanical arm and the copper plating that shows on his face. I decided to go with something similar to the "Cyborg Eye" shown below for his mechanical eye. I love the idea of his eye being made up of tiny, intricate clockwork parts. I didn't give him the ability to close the eye because it didn't fit with the image I have of him in my head. Maybe we'll use the eye that doesn't close as a metaphor for him losing his innocence or something.

Anyway, here are the aspects that we've revealed in our written story thus far, followed by my working images.
  • Left eye replaced with a red mechanical eye. Eye does not close on its own.
  • Left jaw, teeth, cheekbone, and part of skull were shattered and replaced with copper. Skin covers the metal bones in his face.
  • Left arm replaced by a "complicated mess of gears, pistons, and copper plates." Fingers are "slender metal bits with rolling joints and rubber tips" and they move via a "symphony of rods." Large cylinder and piston apparatus traverses the outer side of the elbow, joining the upper and lower parts. His mechanical shoulder is a complicated set of joints that allow for mobility while also protecting a small vat of diamond glass completely filled with blood. Tendrils of rubber tubing, pulsing with blood, extend from the vat and embed themselves into the flesh at the base of his neck.
  • Rippled plates of metal replace the left side of his ribcage from his arm down to his stomach.
 
 I decided to go with an eye similar to the image below because I liked the idea of intricate little parts.
"Cyborg Eye," origin unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment