Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How should our heroes investigate?

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while. It's been an incredibly busy week, and my character sketch of Auggy somehow deleted itself just as I went to post it. :(

Next question: How might our heroes and heroines go about investigating Cy's attack? Also, please see the questions below, and chime in with any of your thoughts or ideas.

I'm reading a Victorian murder mystery to get some idea of how people investigated crimes prior to modern forensics and fingerprints. My ideas thus far go like this:
  1. Report the matter to the police. Would our characters do this? The police won't do much for a poor hybrid living in the slums of Slag City, but if they do investigate, they might discover Cy's and possibly Auggy's criminal activities and/or our characters' involvement with the rebels.
  2. Try to find out what Cy's remembers, which is...? He's having memory problems and would only have a flash or two at this point in the novel. More memories would emerge throughout the investigation process.
  3. Examine the scene of the crime for any evidence. What should would our characters find? To refresh your memory: Cy's left jaw and the left side of his ribs were shattered, his left eye and left arm were destroyed, the arm partly by fire. His faerie arm, which was also on the left side, was cut off and taken. Then the building was set on fire around him. What's left of the building? Where was he? What was he doing there?
  4. Question the people living or working around the scene of the crime. Who lives/works there? Who should they encounter? (This is an excellent opportunity to introduce any characters that you might like to add into the novel.) What might they have seen? Or how else could they help or hinder the investigation?
  5. Track down and question/investigate any enemies Cy or even Auggy (as Cy's employer) might have. (This is another great opportunity for including any new character ideas.) Who might these people be? What involvement did they have in Cy's attack, with the gnomes, or with the collection of Cy's essence of fey? How might they help or hinder our heroes and heroines?
Please let me know if you have any ideas concerning the above questions or another other ideas for methods of investigation. Murder mysteries are not my area of expertise. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. I think the Victorian mystery novel is a pretty good idea. There are many similarities in the technology, but I feel the steam-tech might give them a little bit more in the way of forensic tools to investigate (but that's just my opinion). Following clues would help create some suspense and give the reader a chance to put some of the pieces together as well.

    As a former police officer back before DNA was even used in cases, we had to do the good, old fashioned investigation and interrogation to get our information and our tech was kind of spotty back then. I think that the Victorian mystery would help with flavor and even some of the methods used in investigations. But don't be afraid to throw in some steam-tech/magic means that would be unique.

    Just my two cents worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Recently finished reading everything and I must say, the story is coming along great. Good job to any involved thus far.

    I've also read all comments and I seem to always agree with Chris. This time is no diffrent. Going the murder mystery route not only give you a chance to create new characters and add suspence but you could also use the chance to give the reader more detail on the city itself. I imagine it would be a look at the underbelly as I don't see them as the types to go to thye cops for reasons you mentioned...and I also picture Auggy as having some real shady "friends".

    I don't think the steam tech or magic would be any sort of
    hinderance on the pacing of the story. Science always holds limitations, I would think the same with magic. If they are simply used as tools and not the soultion it'll fit great.

    Thanks for the good reading, ill be sure to keep up here from now on!

    ReplyDelete